Class Crest

If it isn't about the Class of 1965 or the Academy, put it here.

Moderator: Bill Roberts

usafgrad
Enter the number 5: 1

Class Crest

Post by usafgrad »

Why is the class crest different on the website than it is on our class rings?
Bill Roberts
Site Admin
SPAM Control: No
Enter the number 5: 5

Post by Bill Roberts »

Looks the same to me. What appears different to you?
usafgrad

Post by usafgrad »

Maybe my ring is different, but I doubt it. If, indeed all looks the same to you, maybe it is only a seemingly apparent difference on my part.
Bill Roberts
Site Admin

Post by Bill Roberts »

I figured it out. The crest on the website is the one from the Yearbook with AFA in the upper right quadrant. The ring has the Roman numeral IV as the nucleus of an atom in that location. The one the AOG uses has truncated the crest below the scroll.
usafgrad

Post by usafgrad »

Let me ask once again, since we have now established that the class crest on the web site is different from the one on our class rings: "Why is the class crest on the web site different from the one on our class rings?"
Bill Roberts
Site Admin

Post by Bill Roberts »

Because I can't find a picture of the crest that's correct. If anyone has one, please send it to me.

If you have the capability to create one, even better.
usafgrad

Post by usafgrad »

My dear Webmaster,
I think you have taken all this too personally. I did not expect you to have an explanation as to why there is a difference in the two versions of our class crest.
Let us commend our fine classmates who so carefully worked out our class crest in the first place. Perhaps there is a reason, unknown to me, for having more than one version of a class crest. I suspect, though, that there was an early mistake in the selection of one from a list of more than one.
I am continually reminded of the suggestion that to be remembered in perpetuity one must make some noted distraction from the norm. Think of the Leaning Tower of Pisa. Would it be known if it were not leaning?
In a grand sanctuary in Dallas there is a misspelled word in one of the stained glass windows. By vote of the entire congregation it was decided to leave it as is. Would the author of that mistake be as well remembered without his mistake in spelling?
I looked at our crest in several recent CHECKPOINTS Class News entries, and it shows the atom rings in the upper right hand corner with the Roman Numeral VII. Also, our baseball cap souvenir from our reunion has a crest identical to the class ring, each different from your website version.
We hope that our class ring and crest committee will accept our thanks for their fine work of some time ago and give us an explanation of the apparent differences in our several crests. Do not expect the AOG to respond. They will take what we give them, and we can thank them for their support either way. More later.
Respectfully submitted.
usafgrad

Class Crest

Post by usafgrad »

Still no answer after some weeks of presentation about the class crest. What is so difficult about having a correct presentation of our class crest?
It's a minor thing, but there must ba an explanation of this mistake that has been puzzling me over all these years. Am I the only one who is able to discern this discrepancy? Don't dismiss it as some worthless endeaver in minutia. It is very real, and needs more attention. Enough for now. More later.